Monday, February 9, 2009

Snips, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tales- That's what Little Boys are made of!

Today was a very frustrating day with the boys in my class. Some of my boys are so smart but do nothing but mess around, goof off, and put little to no effort into their work. I could name four or five boys who have no motivation and just minimal effort into anything. Then I work with them one on one and they prove that they get it. My teacher and I had a long discussion about why these bright kids continually choose to get in trouble for whatever reason, instead of doing the right thing. My teacher is excellent teacher and her expectations are more than clear. Why do kids consistently do things they know they get in trouble for? I don't think the enjoy getting in trouble. I don't think their parents support them getting in trouble. I just am so confused. I grew up with brothers. I get how little boys are. I know they are ornery. It's just so frustrating to see kids getting in trouble for the same thing repeatedly. I don't know what more we could do to motivate them to do their best work and do the right thing. 
One another note, I got my first cold from those little buggers. It's an occupational hazard I know. But I literally spent all weekend on the couch. Ick. And today I felt worst than I did yesterday. Bummer for sure. But today I lost my voice so badly that my teacher had to take over. I am grateful for her support, but I just hate that I couldn't do my job to my best. I am a perfectionist and I hate when things don't go my way. Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow better, and I can have a better day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment